Steps to Help Protect Your Family From the "Flu"
- Clean your hands often by washing with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing. Use alcohol-based hand cleaners if soap and water is not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, or cough into your sleeve or shoulder.
- Stay home if you or your child is sick for at least 24 hours after there is no longer a fever, (100 degree F or greater) or other flu-like symptoms: cough, sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache or feeling very tired.
- Have your family vaccinated.
- Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids and eat nutritious foods.
Links and Downloads for Parents and Caregivers
Emergency Community Health Outreach website, including information on the flu in multiple languages
Regularly updated messages about the H1N1 vaccine in Minnesota, including a tool to help you find a shot once they become available.